Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Anna Pearl's Oldfashioned Oatmeal Cookies

I am in absolute love with Oatmeal Cookies.  My Mom made those cookies that you dream about.  They were big!  They were chewy!  They were AMAZING!


Below, I have tried to re-create her recipe.  I don't have her lovely hands that measured out each ingredient carefully.  She always used a knife to level off each measuring cup  and spoon.  I don't have her smarts, as she always used the measuring cup with the butter or shortening in it to measure the sugar.  She used her rubber spatula to scrap out the sugar/butter mixture into the bowl.  Waste not, Want Not!  This also made the measuring cup easier to clean.  I don't have her by my side, showing me how to mix things just right.

However, I do have the things that she taught me.  One of those things is to love.  So, lovely readers, here's my Mom's recipe for Anna Pearl's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies.  (My Mom was Anna Pearl's daughter.  Her name was Sylvia and she looked just like Ingrid Bergman.  That's what my Dad said.)



Anna Pearl's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Preheat oven at 375 degrees.  Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray or line the pan with parchment paper.

1 cup softened butter (Please don't substitute with margarine.  Remember, these are old fashioned)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar

Measure out the butter first, then the sugars.  Using a Pastry cutter or a butter knife, cut the sugar into the butter until it is crumbly.

2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small bowl, whip the eggs and vanilla until frothy.  Combine the eggs with the butter/sugar mixture and mix well.





 
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Mix well.  Add to butter/sugar/egg/vanilla mixture.  Mix well.

3 cups quick cooking oats                                                                 

Fold the oats into the mixture and make sure that all oats are coated with mixture.         

Using a teaspoon, spoon mixture about 2 inches apart onto baking sheet.  Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.

   
                                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment