Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Colcannon

My family were Scandinavian.  It is well known that is cold in Scandinavia.  There are just so many things that will grow where the summers are short and the winters are long. In places like this, cabbage is king!

The following recipe came from a PBS Show that I watched a while ago.  Mind you,I didn't write the original recipe down.   I kept it in my little brain for weeks before I tried to re-create it.  Since I can't remember the show or the original recipe, I would like to say this is my version of Colcannon.

This meal would have been very hearty and would have filled the tummies of any Viking!

Colcannon

Feeds 4

Ingredients

1 whole head of green Cabbage, shredded
1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic,finely chopped
1/2 cube sweet cream butter, salted
1/2 lb bacon, chopped
6-9 potatoes, cubed
1/8 cup milk
2 Tbsp sweet cream butter,salted

Wash and peel the potatoes. In a medium saucepan, boil the potatoes until tender.  Mash the potatoes, add 1/8 cup milk and 2 Tbsp butter.  Mix well and set aside.

In a large frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside.  To the frying pan, add 1/4 cube of butter. Add onion and saute until tender.  Add garlic and saute for one minute.  Add cabbage and saute until tender.  Stir in the bacon.

To serve, place cabbage mixture on a plate.  Place a scoop of the mashed potatoes in the center of the cabbage.  Make an indention in the potatoes and place 1 tsp of butter in the indent.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Watch your Vikings devour this yummy dinner!






1 comment:

  1. We have made Colcannon too! My husband's family is Irish and it's something they love. I am half Danish so at least half Viking!

    ReplyDelete